This week’s Local Food Bites: Seed Seed Revolution, the 2nd Saskatchewan Food Summit, Landscaping for Outdoor Living, and Regina Seedy Saturday!
Seed Seed Revolution: A sustainable gardener’s guide to growing the right seeeds
Saturday, February 23, 10am-11pm (Creative City Centre, 1843 Hamilton St)
$35 (includes tax and snacks)
As gardeners, taking back control of our seed supply is one of the most revolutionary things we can do. In this half-day workshop, we’ll delve deep into both the practical and philosophical issues involved with choosing, growing, saving, and storing the most sustainable seeds. The first in a series of Spring 2013 Root & Branch workshops!
Food Secure SK Annual General Meeting
Tuesday, February 26, 5-8 pm (Station 20 West, 1120-20th St, Saskatoon SK (2nd floor boardroom))
5:00 pm Tour of Station 20 West
5:30 pm Supper
6:30 Presentation CHEP & REACH
7:00 pm Food Secure Saskatchewan Annual General Meeting
Please RSVP to Dana Folkersen at (306) 347-3224 or email email@example.com no later than February 15, 2013 (numbers are needed for supper) Memberships will be for sale at the meeting – must have a membership to vote. Parking in lot on west side of Avenue L. Note: this meeting is prior to the 2nd Saskatchewan Food Summit that begins on February 27
Second Saskatchewan Food Summit
Feb 27 – 28, 2013 (TCU Place (Salons A & B), Saskatoon, SK)
Building Sustainable Food Systems, Towards Policy and Action
Sessions discussed barriers/challenges and examined solutions/opportunities in:
– Policy and the Food System Panel (An analysis of Policy Effects on Shaping a Sustainable Food System)
– Designing a Sustainable Food System (What are the Key Considerations in Shaping a Food system for the 21st Century?)
– Global perspectives in Advancing Food Security Around the World
– Building Food Secure Communities
– Distribution – Building a Start-up Distribution System for Small Producers
– Health and Food Safety – Addressing the Regulatory Barriers
– Aboriginal Peoples and Potential for Local Food Production – Strategies and Initiatives
– Land Use Planning and Food Production – Three Models from Saskatchewan, Ontario and British Columbia
Landscaping for Outdoor Living (Regina Horticultural Society)
Thursday, February 28, 6–7pm (Neil Balkwill Centre, 2420 Elphinstone St., Regina)
Landscaping for Outdoor Living with Bonnie Martel Free for RHS members; $5 for non-members. Pre-registration not required.
Regina Seedy Saturday
Satruday, March 2, 10am–2pm (St. Mary’s Anglican Church, 3337 15th Avenue, Regina, SK)
Buy and exchange open-pollinated, heritage varieties of seeds at this year’s Seedy Saturday!
Visit our Calendar of Events for information on these and other local food events!